image1 image2 image3

HELLO I'M JOHN DOE|WELCOME TO MY PERSONAL BLOG|I LOVE TO DO CREATIVE THINGS|I'M PROFESSIONAL WEB DEVELOPER

Tuesday, November 19, 2013

The Highs and Lows

Before Rose was diabetic I had no idea how much diabetes is a number game.  I grew up with a diabetic Mom but I was never really involved with all of the steps of managing her diabetes.  So now that my life revolves around Rose's Blood Glucose number, I've realized diabetes is a number game.

For those of you who don't know what Blood Glucose (BG) is, I will try to explain it to you. Every time a person eats, we consume carbohydrates which are the main source of energy for your body. The carbohydrates are converted into sugar or glucose which allows are bodies to function. When the amount of glucose in our blood rises, our pancreases releases a hormone, insulin, to help the cells use the glucose that is the blood. Type 1 diabetics (T1D) do not produce any insulin. For T1D's, it is kind of like having a plate of food in front of you but no mouth to eat it. Insulin is essential to live.

We test Rose's BG anywhere from 5-10 times a day because if she is high she needs insulin to help her use the glucose in her blood and if she is low she needs more glucose in her blood to function.  High levels of glucose in a person's body for long periods of time start to damage eyes, kidneys, nerve, and blood vessels.  Very Low blood glucose causes comas, seizures, and death.

So here is where the numbers come into play.  Rose is supposed to have a BG anywhere between 80-150.  That is her target range.  Anything greater than 150 we try to lower using insulin and anything lower than 150 we treat with food. 150 is our special number right now.  Very low BG starts at anything lower than 40.  If you can get the person with low BG to eat than you can prevent them from getting any lower.  If they become unconscious or start having a seizure you are to use a glucagon pen.  Glucagon is also a hormone that is produced in the pancrease that rises your BG.  Insulin and Glucagon are the complete opposites. We have two glucagon pens that we have with us at all times in case of emergencies.  They look like this.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Glucagon_emergency_rescue_kit.JPG
I think I know what to do if Rose passes out on me, because she is too low, but it scares me.  This is why we check her every four hours all night long and check her through out the day to help make sure she isn't too low.  Today when she was at 49 I couldn't believe it.  It made my heart race and I was scared.  I was grateful to have some food on hand and to prepared for such a number.  

Diabetes is a number game.  My whole life revolves around Rose's BG number. Sometimes I want to climb into my bed and hide from the stress of making sure Rose stays with in her range.  But the reality is that I can't ignore it. My child needs me to take care of her in order for her to live. 

1 comment:

  1. good job! You're doing such a great job taking care of her.

    ReplyDelete